Learning to learn HANSE network
Learning to learn Hanse network
- Gamma cluster - the third approach/version – the regulation adn membership agreement -
- “The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn.” ― Alvin Toffler
Steps to join:
- read the regulations below. If it is suitable for you go for the next step;
- create a user on the virtual space on the platform http://thevoyage.eu (if you have not got one already);
- follow the future steps described below and inside once you are there.
Intro - The arguments
1) The importance of the journey
So many times the voyage itself is more relevant than the information acquired during it. We can easily find knowledge but what about corroborating it with the right attitude and proper skills so that it all becomes a complete competence and habit?
We are aware of the fact that the journey matters. But what happens on the journey? What are the struggles, how do we avoid traps, how do we transform the downs into ups? How do we deal with the setbacks? Can we share some tips with others? One can easily say that time management means, among others, eventually, waking up early in the morning so one can get fresh air and a fresh mind. But how do we accomplish that? What are the little steps to take every day? It is the lesson, at the end of the day which can help us more than some theory, however valuable.
With these thoughts in our minds, we decided to design a small area in which we can all share our journeys on specific items from the never-ending voyage of learning to learn.
2) Both sides of the coin
Not all objects are coins, obviously, but if we want to apply this principle to some learning approaches, what would be the details of the methods? What are the heads and tails, obverse and reverse?
For instance, we decide to take care of your eating habit. There are websites, applications and so on. What about the time, did you calculate the time you need for that, every day? What do you have to take care of? Good to know, to have the whole picture of the journey…
Or we can take running as a healthy habit to support our learning process. Of course it is good, generally speaking. But it is more or sometimes less than that. There are things to consider, aspects to take care of before starting to run a marathon. Otherwise, that can be the first and the last one for you.
3) What works for me might not work for you
Indeed, one method can be great for me but sometimes it just does not work for you. Imagine what happens when working in a group: that approach might suit some people just fine; for others it might not be the first choice. However, the odds are everybody can discover something which works for them if we share the perspectives, the small steps, the great habits.
What is this?
- A small network/cluster/hanse for people interested in Learning to learn as a key competence for personal and professional development –
How does it work?
- You create a user on the virtual space on the platform http://thevoyage.eu (if you have not got one already);
- You enrol to the Learning to learn network here;
- You take a look at the proposed theme/idea of the month and reflect on it and/or test the proposed learning method/approach;
- Every month, you give your feedback/you comment on the proposed subject or test the proposed method (level 1 or level 2);
- You read the other comments/about others’ experiences;
- You take the conclusions that are suitable for you;
- You get to learn all the time during the small voyage;
- The next month, you repeat the experience.
Level 1 area - 1 hour/month
- You take a look at the proposed theme/idea of the month and reflect on it or test the proposed learning method/approach;
- You give your feedback on the proposed subject. That can be:
o your opinion based on your previous experience/background;
o your perspective after having tested the proposed method/item/aspect/idea
o some results of a research you do/have done;
Level 2 area – optional – different challenges – time to be established, on a case by case basis
- Practice for a few days in a row the proposed challenge and post your impressions;
- Participate in the virtual meetings organized on some specific aspects, from time to time;
- Participate in the face-to-face meetings, events;
- Find out about other opportunities connected with the subject, join us there, as well;
- Discover, take/do not take other voyages we will propose, when they are available and announced;
Is this too abstract? Let’s take some examples
Example 1: commenting on a tool/ using a tool
We propose you a tool, for instance a weekly planner.
Level 1 – offer your general feedback, ideas, perspectives, possible improvements;
Level 2 - test it for one week and then post your conclusions, come up with some proposals for improvement, if you want/have found some.
Example 2 – another month: The brain usage debate
- Some people think that we use a very small percentage of our brain capacity.
- Some others consider that we have a limited band which is overwhelmed especially these days with all the information inputs.
So, what do you think, what is your experience/perspective?
Example 3 – another month: Speed reading
There is a debate over this one as well. Those in favour of the method consider quick reading to be great, while the ones against it advocate that it is not quite scientific, there are tricks, it does not work in the long term, it depends on the material etc.
We will propose some exercises, some things to prepare and you will be able to test it yourselves and then share with us whether it worked for you, what your experience/perspective was.
You can go to level 1 or level 2; each month, you decide the extent to which you can be involved.
Is it clearer now? Let’s move on to the other aspects of the network cluster, as well:
Benefits of joining this network:
- The joy of learning;
- See/hear/learn different perspectives on the same method/subject/theme connected with learning to learn competence;
- Inspire and be inspired by others doing the same thing;
- Be among the first to test some proposed habits, activities, methods etc;
- At the end of the year you can get a certificate for your contribution to the network (if any).
How do we communicate?
- Using the forum of the network/course, on the proposed areas;
- By email, news to be received in your Inbox, emails.
For how long do you intend to keep it?
- This version, Gamma cluster is planned for 2017-2018. During this time we will observe its development as proposed and decide accordingly, proposing the next steps. The previous activities can also be found at the course level on our platform.
How long do I have to stay in the network?
- As long as you want, you can unenroll at any time if you consider that the cluster does not suit your needs.
Who can join?
- People interested in learning to learn on a day-to-day application/ testing level;
- People willing to invest 1 hour/month to contribute to the subject of the month;
Do not join if:
- You know everything, there is nothing to learn;
- You can’t hear/respect other different opinions;
- You do not want to learn from peers, you prefer only the expert styles;
- You do not have the time to contribute with your ideas/perspective once per month for at least 1 hour.
Time you need as a member of the network
- Generally speaking it depends on you, your wish to test/give your opinion on the subject etc;
- We will propose different complexity level themes;
- Minimum – 1 hour/month – 12 hours/year;
- Maximum – it is up to you.
Fee/ cost for you now
- There is no fee for this version as a follow-up of the project “The suitcase, the map and the voyage of a youth worker”, co-funded by the Erasmus+ Programme of the European Union.
- English will be the main language used in our communication;
The network cluster is facilitated by the coordinating team of the project with the support of its members, as well. The support offered and this regulation can be adapted/changed by the coordinating team during this period, informing the members and giving them the possibility to renounce if the new aspects are not suitable for them.
Are you ready to join?
- Create a user on the virtual space on the platform http://thevoyage.eu (if you have not got one already);
- Take a look at the proposed theme/idea of the month and reflect on it or test the proposed learning method/approach;
- Give your feedback on the proposed subject or test it as explained;
- Read the other comments/about others’ experiences;
You can write us to email@example.com.
Short history, the steps taken so far and future plans:
Alpha cluster (2016-2017) – we tested the first approach to sharing practices network within the online courses of Learning to learn (English and Romanian versions). There, each participant could introduce himself/herself and contribute to the presented content of each chapter.
Beta cluster (July 2017) - we had a multiplier event where the participants had the possibility to be involved in learning, teaching or both activities during Open Space technology sessions.
Gamma cluster (2017-2018) – it is the newest version/group network proposed as a future approach, based on the feedback we have got so far.
Delta cluster (2018 - ___) – based on the activity and the feedback collected during the journeys (2016-2018) we will decide accordingly for the next potential levels/clusters.
“It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.”
― Ursula K. Le Guin, The Left Hand of Darkness